Ways To Protect Against Personal Injuries In The New Year
A new year provides the opportunity for a fresh start. One of the key focuses for many people are resolutions designed to protect their health and safety. Personal injuries are a leading cause of death and disability in Washington State. Our Issaquah personal injury attorneys offer some tips to protect yourself and prevent them from happening in 2023.
Preventing Personal Injuries
According to statistics from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), close to over 100 million people visited hospital emergency rooms as a result of personal injuries each year. These typically happen due to accidents in which others are to blame. They can occur at work, at home, when driving, and when visiting stores, restaurants, office buildings, or other public places. Follow our safety tips to reduce your injury risks in the New Year:
- Practice Safety On The Job
Work-related accidents can happen in any occupation, but certain types of jobs are inherently more dangerous than others. Construction site accidents are a serious problem and can leave construction workers or anyone nearby suffering devastating personal injuries. To prevent them, take these steps:
- Make getting a good night’s sleep a top priority. Being tired increases accident risks;
- Get adequate training, particularly important when performing potentially dangerous tasks;
- Follow standard safety precautions, which includes using the proper types of safety equipment; and
- Report accidents or injuries immediately, as failing to do so could jeopardize your rights in a claim.
- Drive Defensively
The Washington State Department of Transportation (WSDOT) reports that nearly 230,000 car accidents happen in King County each year. While you cannot control the behavior of other motorists, there are steps that can reduce your risks:
- Follow all traffic rules and regulations;
- Make sure your vehicle is regularly maintained;
- Slow down and avoid speeding; and
- Avoid distractions and stay focused on the road at all times.
- Injury-Proof Your Home
Personal injuries can happen at home, endangering yourself and leaving you liable when others are victims. Take these steps to help prevent them from happening:
- Do regular landscaping of outdoor areas;
- Reduce clutter and other trip hazards;
- Make repairs around your home as needed; and
- Never leave your stove, candles, or fireplaces unattended.
- Protect Yourself In Public Places
Personal injuries can happen when running errands, enjoying recreational events, or engaging in other activities in public places. Tips to protect yourself and people you are with include:
- Wear appropriate shoes, particularly during bad weather;
- Pay attention when walking and avoid potential dangers;
- Stay in main areas and avoid places sealed off from the public; and
- In crowded spaces, keep an eye out for entrances and exits.
When Accidents Happen, Contact Our Issaquah Personal Injury Attorney
Despite your precautions, personal injuries can still happen. When negligence on the part of others is responsible, Injury Law Group NW helps you get fair compensation in your claim. Call or contact our Issaquah personal injury attorneys online and request a consultation today.