Planning A Holiday Road Trip? How To Reduce Issaquah Auto Accident Risks
The holidays are a hectic time. Amidst all the hustle and bustle of decorating and buying gifts, people often plan road trips to visit family and friends. However, whether you are driving nearby or across the country, be aware of potential hazards and take a few simple precautions to protect your safety. Our Issaquah auto accident attorney offers tips to help prevent crashes from happening on holiday road trips this year.
Why Holiday Car Accidents in King County Pose Such Serious Risks
The Washington State Traffic Commission warns that the holidays are one of the most dangerous times to be out on the road. Between Thanksgiving and New Year’s Day alone, car accidents in King County claim the lives of more than 10 people each year while leaving dozens of other victims suffering serious personal injuries.
Wet winter weather and increased traffic congestion can increase the likelihood of a crash, but the most common reason is reckless driving. Among the biggest risks this holiday season include:
- Distracted driving: Making calls, checking emails, eating fast food, or even thinking about your to-do list and making holiday plans are common distractions that divert attention from the road.
- Aggressive driving: Between tight timeframes and the frustration of traffic delays, more drivers are likely to engage in tailgating, improper passing, and other aggressive driving behaviors.
- Driving under the influence: The holidays are a time for celebrating but driving while under the influence of any amount of alcohol, recreational drugs, or even certain prescription medications is dangerous.
- Speeding: Being in a rush to reach your destination increases the odds of serious, potentially fatal car accident injuries in Issaquah.
Make Safety A Priority On Holiday Road Trips
To help prevent auto accident injuries in Issaquah this holiday season, make safety a top priority. The Washington State Department of Transportation encourages drivers to check road conditions before road trips, as construction, lane closures, heavy traffic, and other issues could make crashes more likely to happen. Other steps that can help reduce your auto accident risks this holiday season include:
- Get your vehicle serviced before you go: Visit a licensed mechanic and have them check your brakes, tires, fluid levels, and electrical systems. Automotive breakdowns increase Issaquah crash risks.
- Inform others of your plan: Let friends or family know when you go, the route you are taking, and when you expect to reach your destination.
- Pack emergency supplies: Include a flashlight, flares, blankets, water, and an extra cell phone charger.
- Make sure everyone wears seatbelts: Seat belts save lives. Make sure everyone in your vehicle buckles up before pulling out of the driveway.
Contact Our Issaquah Auto Accident Attorney
Car crashes and collisions are a common cause of personal injuries in King County over the holidays. If you or someone you love is hurt, contact Injury Law Group NW right away. We help you get the compensation you need to recover in a claim. Request a consultation with our Issaquah auto accident attorney today.