This Winter, Take Precautions To Prevent Weather-Related Auto Accident In Issaquah
The winter season is upon us and in Washington State, that means plenty of rain, sleet, snow, and ice. Roads can get slick at this time of year, which dramatically increases car accident risks. Our Issaquah auto accident attorneys wants you to be aware of the hazards and ways to keep you and your passengers safe.
How Winter Weather Increases Washington Auto Accident Risks
Residents of King County are used to enduring long months of rainy, wet conditions. In addition to putting a damper on your spirits, it can also increase personal injury risks. According to the Federal Highway Administration (FHWA), adverse weather is a common contributing factor in car accidents.
Of the roughly six million crashes that occur across the country each year, over 20% are weather-related. While snow and ice pose obvious hazards, rainy, wet conditions are the most common cause. Ways in which these types of conditions can make auto accidents in Issaquah more likely to happen:
- Impacts on visibility: Rainy, wet roads are harder to see and can pool up on and cloud windshields. It can also create blinding glare.
- Reduced tire traction: Tires have a harder time gripping wet road surfaces. Hydroplaning is common, causing drivers to lose control of their vehicles.
- Increased traffic conditions: Rain tends to make traffic tie-ups more likely to happen, which increases overall auto accident risks.
- Reduced brake and steering function: Drivers are less able to brake suddenly to respond to traffic changes and have decreased steering abilities.
How To Protect Yourself Against Weather-Related Auto Accidents In Issaquah
The Washington State Department of Transportation (WSDOT) reports that close to 30,000 car accidents in King County happen each year. These are more likely to occur during darker winter months when there is a greater likelihood of wet and slippery road conditions. Drivers are encouraged to use caution to protect themselves, their passengers, and others on the road. The following are simple steps that can help avoid crashes and collisions:
- Wear a seat belt at all times and require passengers to do the same;
- Check weather conditions before heading out and be aware of road closures;
- In adverse weather, consider eliminating unnecessary trips;
- If you must go out, allow plenty of time to reach your destination;
- Drive slower than posted speeds when necessary, and adhere to all traffic signs and signals;
- Put plenty of space between yourself and other motorists;
- Pay attention and avoid texting, talking on cell phones, or other distractions;
- Avoid aggressive driving behaviors, such as failing to yield and cutting others off in traffic.
When Injuries Happen, Reach Out To Our Issaquah Auto Accident Attorney
Unfortunately, car accidents can still happen, despite taking precautions. When the reckless behavior of other motorists is responsible, you can count on Injury Law Group NW to provide the caring support and professional legal representation you need in filing a claim. Reach out and contact our Issaquah auto accident attorney to request a consultation today.